Some ISPs are suggesting that it almost appears inevitable that the Australian Competition & Consumer Commission (ACCC) may grant the Australian Pay TV market to the likes of FOXTEL-Austar 97% with the remaining 3% going to Telstra (BigPond Movies).
iiNet’s CEO Michael Malone believes that the ACCC should make at least some of the exclusive pay TV programmes, such as the content available on the FOX Sports channel, available to Smart TV & Set-Top-Box operators such as FetchTV.
His primary argument is not about the television market, but more about access to content and when it comes to a lot of Australian sports content, it’s pretty much wrapped up by FOXTEL.
If the proposed merger between Austar and FOXTEL goes ahead, Mr Malone’s suggests that these two pay TV operators will then possess even more clout when it comes to negotiating deals with the respective content providers.
Read more at smarthouse.com.au – 97% Foxtel Should Be Forced To Share Exclusive Sport